Headache treatment in Beaverton Oregon
Did you know that 90% of America’s population will suffer from at least one headache this year? Headaches are extremely common and come in many different varieties. If you suffer from headaches in Beaverton OR, consider seeing a chiropractor for relief. Catalyst Chiropractic and Rehabilitation offers headache treatment in Beaverton, Oregon through specialized chiropractic care.
A chiropractic adjustment might not be the first thing you think of when it comes to headache treatment, but the reality is that many different types of headaches have one thing in common – tension and stiffness in the joints and muscles of the neck.
On history and examination, the following clues will tell us your headaches are likely coming from your neck:
- Neck pain
- Stiff neck (limited mobility, hard to check your blindspot)
- Painful knots in muscles around your neck and head
- Previous concussion
- Previous whiplash/motor vehicle collision
- Weakness in certain neck muscles
- Chest breathing instead of belly breathing
Sometimes headaches are caused by more serious health conditions. Keep an eye out for the following signs and get evaluated by a physician as soon as possible in these circumstances:
- Headaches that are becoming progressively worse over time
- Sudden onset severe headaches
- New and unfamiliar headache
- Headache following recent head injury
- Presence of fever with your headache
- Significant neck stiffness
- Rigid neck
- Facial numbness or tingling
- Double vision
- Passing out
- Difficulty speaking or swallowing
- Difficulty walking
- Numbness in your arms or legs
After a thorough exam, if you are determined to be a good candidate for chiropractic care you will typically begin with treatment on your first visit to Catalyst Chiropractic and Rehabilitation.
Adjustments are not the only thing that can address the underlying issues that cause headaches. Other therapies that can help are postural and ergonomic advice, therapeutic exercise, trigger point therapy, deep tissue massage, cold laser, nutritional and lifestyle changes, and dietary supplementation. All of these services are offered at Catalyst Chiropractic and Rehabilitation and are safe, effective options to alleviate your headaches without the need for drugs.
Why choose Catalyst Chiropractic and Rehabilitation as your headache chiropractor in Beaverton, OR?
- We are in-network providers with all major insurance companies, such as Blue Cross, United Healthcare, Cigna, Moda, Aetna, Providence, Medicare, and Care Oregon (OHP)
- We’ve been serving the residents of Beaverton and the surrounding communities for over 10 years
- We practice forward-thinking, contemporary chiropractic, following modern guidelines based on current research and best practices
- We do not use high pressure sales tactics, sell long-term care plans, or charge large up-front fees for your care package
Dr. Thompson has multiple years of experience treating many types of headaches. He utilizes a unique three-pronged approach in his headache treatments in Beaverton OR. Essentially there are three types of stress at the source of headaches – biomechanical stress on the spine and soft tissues, chemical stress from your diet and environment, and emotional stress. After a thorough health history and physical exam, he will determine the optimal way to address each of these three areas of stress utilizing the therapies listed above. By attacking the pain from multiple angles, you have the best chance of successfully resolving your headaches.
What are the best treatments for headaches?
We offer a variety of effective treatments to help you recover as quickly as possible from your headaches, including:
- Chiropractic adjustments (manipulating the neck to improve joint motion, often producing an audible “pop” that chiropractors are most known for). Both tension headaches and migraine headaches have been shown in studies to significantly decrease in frequency and severity after a round of regular chiropractic adjustments.
- Soft tissue massage from our amazing licensed massage therapist
- Exercises and stretches tailored to your specific needs to complement the treatment you receive in the office
- Electrical muscle stimulation (we like to call it the “electric micro massage”)
- Therapeutic ultrasound
- Cold laser therapy
- Instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization
- Ergonomics assessments and advice – Dr. Thompson is a Certified Ergonomics Assessment Specialist
In addition to providing top quality care in the office, we try to educate each of our patients on what they can do to help with the recover process – thereby giving you tools you can use on your own to treat your headaches without always having to see a provider or take medication for relief. Watch these videos for some good self-care tips for headache treatment.
What can I expect on my first visit to the chiropractor?
There are 3 parts to your first visit to the chiropractor
- History: This is what we like to think of as “detective work.” Through asking targeted questions about your current symptoms and other aspects of your life we narrow down the possible causes of your pain. Many of these questions are answered in your intake paperwork prior to your appointment. These can be emailed to you automatically if you schedule online (link to online schedule https://catalystchiro.janeapp.com) or we’ll send you a link to them if you schedule over the phone at 503-526-8782.
- Examination: After taking a thorough history of your condition, you will receive a comprehensive chiropractic examination. This includes looking at your posture, seeing how your spine and body move in all directions, testing nerve and muscle function, and checking for restricted movement and/or misalignment in the spine and/or extremity joints.
- Treatment: After explaining his exam findings to you, Dr. Thompson will recommend a trial of care, which usually consists of 4-6 visits over a period of 2-4 weeks.
Each visit can include any of combination of the treatments mentioned in the section above, depending on what he feels will be best suited to you and your goals. Treatment typically begins on your first visit, unless additional testing or imaging is required based on your exam findings.
You can read additional details as well as watch Dr. Thompson’s Youtube video on what to expect on your first chiropractic visit here.
Headaches are a complex health condition that can be devastating if left untreated. Don’t leave it up to a bottle of pills to get you through it. If you are suffering from headaches in Beaverton OR, get evaluated by a professional who can properly diagnose your condition and develop a multi-faceted treatment plan to attack the source of your pain.
Beaverton, OR 97005